Friday, April 27, 2007

The Power of Privatization

For my job, I do a lot of random research. One day, I found an interesting article on the history of public schools in New Orleans and how Hurricane Katrina brought in a wave of privatization for the schools that has essentially ruined the system there.

I thought it would be interesting to dig deeper into the subject and have found a plethora of journal articles that talk about this issue. Also, since my original findings, I have found numerous other sources that talk about the privatization of other government services (Walter Reed, Social Security, etc).

So, I've decided to research and write a paper about the failures of privatizing government services with a focus on school vouchers. You see, a true market system is set up so someone will lose out. Unfortunately, in the school voucher debate, the ones most likely to lose are the poorest of the poor.

I'll try to post some of the interesting findings here. I find this whole thing fascinating. I didn't really have a strong opinion about the issue until I started looking into it. Now, it just makes me mad.

1 comments:

Anne said...

Megan:

If you are into this, then you really need to look at what NYC is doing next year. A portion of the city schools will be run by private companies next year. Also, look into what happened in Philadephia, PA when Edison did their thing. They really fucked things up. Also, if you look at what happened to bus routes in both NYC and Ohio when private consulting firms were hired to cut down on bussing costs. I can't wait to see what you find. I read about this stuff, but don't have the time to do real analysis of it.

Anne