Monday, February 4, 2008

Hillary's Town Hall Meeting

I wasn't able to attend the Town Hall meeting for Hillary Clinton due to kid issues but I watched it online as it happened. It wasn't quite the same but I definitely learned more about Hillary and her policies.

I am continually impressed with every appearance of Hillary I see (she was losing her voice and I commend her for still holding this event). She was very articulate tonight and her experience in policy issues was quite evident.

My #1 issue in this year's election is health care. After reading both Senator Clinton's and Senator Obama's health care plan, I must say that I like Hillary's much more. She understands that, in order to provide the best quality care for all Americans, the entire system must be reformed. It is not enough to just make insurance and pharmaceutical companies compete with each other but to actually reduce the costs all across the board.

One of the highlights of Obama's health care plan is that health coverage will not be mandatory; only those who want coverage will receive it. This sounds like a good idea but when one really thinks about it, it won't be as cost-effective as he says.

At my job, I see lots of people who are desperate for legal assistance. Unfortunately, they don't realize they need this assistance before it's too late. The same is true with health care insurance. If people get coverage through their job, they don't think twice about it. And when they need it, it'll be there for them. However, a lot of people don't have health insurance. And they don't think about having it before it's too late--usually when they end up in the emergency room or worse.

This is just one of the issues that will be running through my head at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning when I walk into my polling place.

Stay tuned until tomorrow to find out who I voted for and why.

0 comments: