Tuesday, January 22, 2008

How To: Become a Delegate to the Democratic National Convention

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal opinion and ideas and is NOT endorsed by the DNC or the Democratic Party of Utah.

Because of my affiliation with the Democratic Party of Utah and the DNC Convention being in Denver this year, I am constantly asked how to become a delegate to the Convention. (I'm totally serious about the constantly part. I get asked at least once a day).

I give the same advice to pretty much everyone because it really isn't that hard; people just think it is.

We don't have many delegate positions here in Utah due to a majority of people having a penchant for always voting for republicans. I'm certain the delegate fight will be a contentious one on Friday, May 9th at the Cal Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center.

So, here's my general advice:

1. Start now. If you're going to run, make the decision ASAP and start now.

2. Secure endorsements. A lot of people in 2004 who were sent to the Convention in Boston has the endorsements of many elected and party officials. Get to these people before everyone else. It will help. (And, if you'd like mine, you have it. After all, I have won a statewide delegate race before).

3. Run a mini-campaign. Yes, you're going to need to actually campaign. This means attending the conventions of other counties outside your home county and ESPECIALLY having a presence at the Salt Lake County and State Conventions. Buy a table at each, print up some flyers. Make some buttons (I have a button-maker!) and write a stump speech. (You'll have to speak at convention anyway so prepare now).

And here's my specific advice:
1. If you live in the 2nd Congressional district and you're a woman, you have the best chance of getting a spot. There is one more female 2nd CD spot than the other districts.

2. Because we're Democrats, we allow everyone in our party. The DNC requires that we have a certain number of people within the following categories:
Women
People of Color
People with Disabilities
GLBT people
Young people (under 35)

If you fall into more than one of these categories, EVEN BETTER! And highlight that in your stump speech as a reason people should vote for you. (I kid you not, the more diverse you are, the better).

3. If none of these things appeal to you, you can always fork over big bucks to get to Denver's Convention. We have multiple opportunities for sponsorships ranging from $4,000 to $20,000. If you'd like more information, please do not hesitate to ask me. After all, I was elected to handle the money matters.

Also, there are some other lesser known ways to get to the convention. I'm more than happy to share my thoughts with you if you'd like. After all, I enjoy building a Democratic Majority.

0 comments: