Friday, September 12, 2008

On Qualifications

There has been a lot of talk about Sarah Palin Tallhair's (this is her official Eskimo name) experience and qualifications to be Vice President. A blog I read posted an exchange between the author and her mother discussing the qualifications of Sarah Palin and Obama. The author felt that Sarah had a lot of executive experience while Barack only had a few years of legislative experience.

This got me thinking about everyone's definition of experience and why it matters so much to them. First, I don't think it's fair to compare Sarah Palin and Barack Obama and their respective experience since they are not running for the same office. There is a vast difference in what the President does on a daily basis than what the VP does. I do understand that Sarah is a mere heartbeat from the #1 seat but that is only an IF.

Second, if Executive Experience is so important to people, then why aren't they worried about McCain's lack of executive experience? There is a difference between legislative and executive and both Obama and McCain have some. So can SOMEONE show me McCain's?

Third, I was not around to personally see it but I seem to recall another legislator from the State of Illinois who became President and who a lot of people felt wasn't experienced enough either. I my opinion, this man is one of the greatest Presidents in our nation's history. And you know what? Our lives are much better off because of him.

0 comments: