Monday, April 14, 2008

How much will it take before we take a break?

I moved into a new apartment on Jan 1st that is much closer to the train than my old place. I've started taking the train just about everywhere--the movies, work, the grocery store (which, btw, if you want to cut down on your impulse grocery shopping, take the train/bus. You'll only buy what you can carry home!). I figure that if I can't get somewhere by taking the train and walking a few blocks, then I really don't need to go there. It's a philosophy I had in college and have sadly neglected it over the years.

But this renewal for me is actually beneficial is so many ways. Number one is the money I'm saving. Next to my apartment building is a Maverick convenience store. Everyday I walk by I check the gas prices. It is insane how quickly prices are going up. It makes me wonder how much more it will take before people stop using their vehicles or stop purchasing other necessities?

The reality is that the hurt of record high crude prices doesn’t end at the pump for American consumers, but rather drives up the prices of all products that are shipped to the location of the final purchase, which essentially includes almost all products Americans buy.
Just when we thought the working class couldn't take much more, the rising cost of everything is forcing them to re-think how they live their life. I remember 10 years ago when gas was only 99 cents per gallon. Wow.
All of this is occurring at a time when many Americans find themselves stuck in jobs where wages remain stagnant despite skyrocketing prices. Because of this reality many people are being prices out of some markets and luxuries they recently were able to afford. Soon many Americans may be priced out of the market of necessities such as food and clothes. If gas prices reach the predicted $4.00 in a few short months, this may become a reality.
But we're NOT in a recession our government says...

0 comments: