Monday, May 28, 2007

Remembrance and Reflection

Life is often full of unexpected twists and turns. We never know what each new day is going to give us. We can prepare for what's out there the best we can, but there is no guarantee things will go our way.

Last week, a Marine friend of mine told me he had been called to Iraq. I haven't known anyone who has fought in Iraq. And while we weren't close friends, I broke down crying when he told me. I couldn't believe it. Here is a young bright guy going off to fight in a senseless and immoral war that has gone on for 4 years too many.

I'm tired of people telling me that because I am anti-war, I am also anti-troop. I hate that more soldiers and civilians die needlessly every day. What are they dying for anyway? Does anyone even remember? How many more have to die before it's over? How many more young lives will be cut short because they were sent into a losing battle?

Today, we remember those who have fallen. We should never forget them. But we also should never forget those who are currently fighting, those who have been seriously injured--physically or mentally, or the loved ones they leave behind. Enough is enough.

Everyone, everyday--even if you don't believe in prayer--pray for my friend. Pray for the soldiers. Pray for their safety. Pray for us to love one another as Jesus loved us. Pray for peace.

As my good friend John once sang:
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace.

Can you imagine a world like this? Someday, I hope we all can.